Morning Edition Host/Reporter
KBUT is a community radio station serving Gunnison County, Colorado. We distinguish ourselves from commercial stations through a commitment to community participation, support and control. KBUT is licensed to Crested Butte Mountain Educational Radio, Inc., an IRS designated 501(c)(3).Broadcasting since 1986, KBUT serves the Gunnison Valley through diverse on-air programs, volunteer opportunities open to all community members, and ongoing support for the area’s nonprofit organizations and educational institutions. Community radio is a significant facilitator of democratic ideals and civic participation and is an invaluable community resource, particularly for a rural and remote area such as Gunnison County.
Our station is located in downtown Crested Butte, Colorado. KBUT Community Radio provides a non-commercial medium to our listening population and business partners that respects and strengthens the diverse fabric of our community. Our mission is to to enrich and unify the Gunnison Valley through information, entertainment and community involvement.
The Morning Edition Host/Reporter is a part time position at KBUT. The essential function of this position is to host local segments during our NPR Morning Edition programming, and act as an assistant to the News Director. Projects will also include working with the News Director on a live on-air talk show and live remote broadcasts of community events.
Responsibilities include gathering, writing, editing, and delivering newscasts. Must possess clear, pleasant, grammatically correct conversational delivery skills and be able to correctly stack newscasts based on news of the day. Sound news judgment is essential. A Bachelor’s Degree or work experience in Journalism is highly desired. The qualified candidate will possess a strong interest in local news and public affairs and strong interest in local news and public affairs
Knowledge, Skills, and Assets:
- Host local segments, including weather, community information and local news, during Morning Edition from 6-8 a.m. Monday through Friday.
- Independently produce news stories, training provided.
- From time to time act as a KBUT spokesperson and/or representative at assigned station events or other community related forums, represent the organization in a positive light. Be comfortable and capable as a public speaker.
- Work with News Director to oversee and execute all remote broadcast operations. This will include working both in the field and in the studio to air several live broadcasts of community events, concerts, public meetings and forums, special events and more.
- Assist News director in all aspects of news production and distribution including station website and social media.
- Assist with public affairs programming as directed by General Manager and News Director.
- Inform KBUT audience and general public about news and public affairs programming through the website, on air promotional spots, articles, press releases, etc.
- Participate in volunteer training.
- Assist the News Director with other activities as necessary.
- Assists with KBUT’s membership drives.
- Attend all station meetings and functions, participate in fundraising duties including helping out at special events and participating in all on-air fundraising efforts.
- Other duties as assigned.
Status & Compensation:
- Radio production experience helpful but not necessary.
- A familiarity with public and community radio ‘sound’ and culture helpful.
- Knowledge of the Gunnison County community.
- Journalism background preferred.
- Ability to work early morning hours (ie, start work at 5:45am).
- Ability to work flexible hours as necessary.
- Ability to assess and keep informed on important local, regional, and national issues.
- As a journalist: must be fair and accurate in reporting and maintain an unbiased demeanor regarding local news issues both on and off the air.
- Ability to use good judgment in selecting news stories/topics.
- Ability to prioritize tasks, practice effective time management and work independently.
- Ability to work independently.
- Strong verbal and writing skills.
- Computer skills.
This is a 20hr/week, 1 year temporary grant funded position (with potential for becoming permanent) and the compensation is commensurate with experience.